Monday, April 20, 2009

Doctors, doctors

I have been going to the doctor for over two weeks now receiving IV antibiotic medicine for a sinus infection that went on for too long and turned into a bacterial infection that spread into my chest. Hopefully, I am on my last week of treatment. I have learned a lesson.

Going to the doctor everyday including Saturdays at 9:00 am to be stuck with a needle and have two/three tubes of blood drawn only to be replaced with IV meds has left me very disgruntled. I have only myself to blame. Yes, I admit it; it is my entire fault. Well, almost. I was sick and knew I needed to go but when Mike and then Wesley got sick I put myself on the back burner to take care of them. Of course I’m mom what else was I going to do? So in a way it may not ALL be my fault.

Well about this time (last week) I also had to go to my scheduled appointment with the ever-wonderful doctors of OB/GYN. Yes, those yearly annual visits. I was dreading this and trying to explain to Mike why this was just not another “visit” he didn’t get it. Women do, men don’t. This is personal. I had the same OB/GYN for over 20 years so I was having a big deal. It was an okay general get to know the new patient with a really long, crazy, scary surgery and pregnancy history. I would just have to laugh at times. Those that know what I went through know that there was no other way to respond to some of their questions. "You've had 8 pregnancies", "You had 4 kids in 5 years"

Then comes the (big) question…
Why have you not gotten your big 40th birthday present yet? There is no excuse. (His words) He is sitting their listening to my (I think) reasonable explanation and then declares you must have it done by the end of next week. I will not allow you to not have one done. He starts to go over all the reasons for having a mammogram done. I stop him and inform him that I am well aware of the potential risks and the great need for early prevention. I have family members and very close friends who have/had breast cancer. My own mom has had cyst biopsies so I know! It was just not an absolute must priority for me yet. Well for him it is.

So today I did it!! I am now (according to the radiologist) in an official womanhood. I was thinking are you sure about that? Anyway it was not like I had been told and I lived and even had Wesley there with me.

Although, I am beginning to wonder about some of these things he is being exposed to. Who knows it may help to teach him some compassion for all we women have to go through. Well either that or scar him for life.

1 comment:

  1. Hope you feel better soon.
    Yay for mammograms - painful wonders that they are.

    ReplyDelete