Tuesday, September 23, 2008

Snake

I was sitting down with Conner and checking his homework when we heard screams coming from the front yard. Adrianna came running into the house to announce that there was a snake in the yard. I just look at her and she is telling me to get up and kill it. For real mom there really is. Conner takes off running outside to see for himself and I slowly get up and go get shoes on and make my way out where I see Conner standing in the road flagging down a van yelling snake, Kasey screaming and pointing and Wesley just standing there not saying a word or moving.
Let me explain my slow pace. About three weeks ago we hear the same thing, kids screaming snake and saying it ran (can they??) into the garage. Mike and I looked at each other and he sent me to check it out. (me??) It was a lizard. Then again two weeks ago same thing snake, in the yard only it was a lizard. So see, it was not a new event.
But this time I was a little more worried as Conner was standing in the road trying to tell a worker who only spoke Spanish that there was a snake in his yard.
I make it over to where Kasey is and yes; there it was a real snake. I do not know what kind it was or even care at this point. So with some quick kids who moved faster at mommy’s request for a shovel and hedge clippers than anything I had ever asked them to do before, snake is now in about 8 pieces. I do know it was not the green garden snake my neighbor has been seeing outside her house.
It was about 2 feet long and as big around as a hotdog. It blended in with the mulch around the tree where it was very well making it hard for me to see till it raised its head up.
After all the drama of the snake the kids now think it was so cool that mom killed a snake and wasn’t even scared. Conner said, “man, wait till I tell pawpaw about this.” Wesley finally spoke and said, “ well I could have stepped on it with my boot, but I didn’t want to get snake blood on my boots”
Just another day here.

No comments:

Post a Comment