Tuesday, January 18, 2011

50 Questions

Adrianna is more curious than Curious George and Sid the Science Kid put together and multiplied by 1000. Most days, by the end of the day, I am pretty sure I have answered more questions then Google. It is tiring and sometimes hurts my head.
She gets so curious and excited that many times she is asking me another question, or the same question again, as I am opening my mouth to give her the answer. I have found myself saying, “Stop, no more questions right now,” or, “This car ride is a no question zone, mommy can’t think to drive and answer a million questions.”
It was those exact words, or similar words, that rang in my ears on a drive the other morning. They burned into my brain and woke me up. What was I doing? As tiring as it was, didn’t I want her to be questioning her world? Inquisitive and curious? Would I ever send her to school and say, “Now don’t ask your teacher too many questions?”
On the flip side, if a teacher said to me, “Adrianna asks too many questions,” would I not be appalled? Who am I if not her first, and ultimate teacher?
That was a hard pill to swallow. As hard as it is to spend my days feeling like Momoogle (Mom-Google) that’s my job. It may be tiring and exhausting, but no one promised me parenting would be easy.

If I don’t want to answer a million questions now, when she’s 8, will she still be asking me questions when she’s 10, 15, 20?
So, I braced myself. I apologized on that car ride, and I told her to ask me again.
Google has tens of thousands of servers with millions of processors to process its questions; I just have one tired mom brain.

No comments:

Post a Comment