Saturday, May 14, 2011

Girls on the Run


Back in January I signed Kasey up for the Girls on the Run program.  In February they started meeting twice a week and every week until the big 5K-race day May 15th.

Today was the day of the Girls on the Run 5K program. The site was the Lowe’s Corporate Headquarters here in Mooresville. There were over 340 girls running and even more than that many running buddies. I was Kasey’s running buddy.

It was overcast, humid, and muggy at the beginning of the day. We checked in at 8 am and did all the pre-race festivities. We signed in and got our race numbers, bibs, went to the happy hair tent, spray painted Kasey’s hair in red, purple, blue, and orange. I got my race t-shirt and we received our goody bags. We also snacked on oranges, bagels, bananas, and smoothies.

At 9 am we lined up at the start finish line and they blew the whistle so we were off. We kept a steady pace and were focused on finishing the race and having fun enjoying our time together. We alternated running and speed walking finishing in 40 minutes. The last mile we ran in the rain, as it did not hold off. At the finish line Kasey received her medal, and a bracelet and even more goodies. I am so proud of her for sticking with the program and running the race to the finish.

I asked her on the way home if she wanted to sign up and do another 5 K? 
Her response, “No”

No comments:

Post a Comment