Friday, August 14, 2009

Are you ready...

for some football!!!

No, I am not. We have been busy the past few weeks. Conner decided that he wanted to play football again and the girls wanted to cheer again. SO I signed them all up at the same time. That was near the end of school last year. I had forgotten a couple of things until I started receiving updates about camps and practices.

Kasey is on the varsity cheerleaders. She completed camp and of course loved it. Since she has experience the coach looked at her and the other girls and being how she is little (skinny) and gives it her all; they make the decision that she is a flyer.
After camp she excitedly informs me that she is a “flyer”. I asked what does that mean. She said a flyer is one who gets tossed up in the air and she is on top of the stunts.

Adrianna also completed camp and had a blast. She made new friends but forgot to ask their names. She just likes the moving and dancing part the best. She also informed me that she is “so beautiful” in her uniform. I agreed with that. She will be cheering for flag football.

Conner is on the Junior Varsity (JV) team. This is the tackle group. No more flags, it is all pads and full on contact. He is SO excited. He also completed camp and I asked how he liked it; His reply, “I liked it”.

Now they have been practicing for several weeks. They have mandatory rules on when/how the boys are allowed to suit up for practice. They are required to complete a mandatory 6 hours of practice without any equipment and no contact. After 6 hours they are allowed to practice for 6 more hours in only helmets with only touch (flags). After those 12 weeks then they are allowed to put on the pads and practice full contact.


So of course Conner is now in pads and in full on contact. I asked him last night after his practice how was it going did he like it? His reply this time, “Oh yea, this is SO fun”.


This is not exactly my idea of so fun. I think it is a mom thing. Conner is the smallest one on the team even with pads on he is just so little out there. Conner in his usual way has already made friends with all the players and the coaches with his attitude of cheering everyone one, encouraging them, and even helping them up. He also has impressed his coaches with his determination when he is on the field. They are surprised at how hard he goes after the kids, he just goes full force no hesitation or doubt in his mind. He is persistent in his efforts to take the boys down and realizing that he can’t tackle them because they are bigger he just goes for the knees and knocks them out from under them.

So I sit, watch and pray that God will be with him and keep him safe. I can’t let my fear of his being hurt stop him from doing the things he is good at.

Wesley is my sidekick, the distraction that I need so I don’t jump up and run down onto the field every time Conner goes down.



Their team is the EAGLES

No comments:

Post a Comment